Friday, January 2, 2009

Hold Me Closer Tiny Snowman



We're moving to Arizona soon. In fact we just sent January's rent to our landlords. I'll miss the snow. Last year was my first real winter.

I grew up in Half Moon Bay and the only memory of snow was a childhood trip Tahoe where I destroyed some family's igloo sledding.

But winter of 2008 was just that, winter. We had snow and lots of it. The winter ran clear into May (the 15th we still had snow falling in the valley). As early as labor day it had returned.

I love it. I love the white, I love how it covers everything. I love getting crazy in the car on slippery roads.

Let's go over some of the highlights:

Sledding with the Ellermeier's (my first time since the Tahoe Igloo fiasco)

Snowboarding with Gordon and Craig Tovey (Gordon Peterson is the best instructor ever and both Craig and Gordon were so patient as I got it down)

The Park City commute (I loved pulling into work and watching people snowboarding and skiing down the slopes above our office)

Snowballs, snowballs, snowballs (I've made and successfully landed dozens of snowball deliveries to unsuspecting victims including a snowball which smacked Brooke right in the kisser one night before dinner. The result was a lot of laughing, a bit of crying and me making up for it as best I could)

Sledding with Craig Tovey last week (there's nothing better than watching two grown men ride and deflate inner tubes off ice ramps in the cold December evening)

Maeby's first winter and all the yellow snow (You know what else is awesome, when she poops I just cover it with snow and "ta da!!!" the poop disappears!)

Probably the greatest thing has been snowflakes. It wasn't until 1997 when I first saw snow fall. I was in Provo in the MTC. I was actually a little shocked at how small snowflakes were. (My only childhood memory of snowflakes were made of paper and they were huge by comparison)

I see the winter as a wonderful novelty. Worth the cold, the slipping and sliding. Hopefully in the future we'll be in a place where we'll have snow again.

And then there's this guy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that snowman is awesome :)

hey barragan, email me your arizona address again!